Statesman Article on Scout Hut, 1955
Austin Statesman Father's Day feature on Sunday, June 19, 1955
AT HIS FATHER’S knee a boy learns many important things – how to make a whistle from a stalk of cane, how to drive a nail and miss his thumb, how to conquer tears.
A group of fathers in the Bryker Woods School District, by showing their sons what cooperation and work can accomplish, will receive an extra special “thank you” on this Father’s Day. The fathers, with the boys working at their sides, have built a Boy Scout hut on the Bryker Woods school grounds.
Combining their efforts with donations of labor and time from Austin building and construction trade unions, the father and their sons are building a scout hut of beauty and utility.
The Boy Scouts in the Bryker Woods area formerly met in the school gymnasium. When the gymnasium was converted into two classrooms, the Boy Scouts were automatically evicted.
Scoutmaster Norman Fardal and Assistant Scoutmaster L. M. Jaquet began holding troop meetings out-of-doors. Many evenings were too cold and too wet for outdoor meetings, and the boys were forced to meet in a narrow corridor where little scouting could be accomplished.
A non-profit corporation was formed by fathers under the chairmanship of Richard B. Latting. With permission from the Austin School Board to erect a hut on the school grounds, the Bryker Woods Troop Foundation, Inc., set out to raise money and materials for the scout hut.
The building plans committee of C. Ben Hibbets, La Vaughn Spiller, O. L. Stiefer and Arnold Wieland drew up blueprints and estimated the 20 by 32 foot hut would cost approximately $2,000.
Parents of students in the Bryker Woods School were asked to buy a $10 debenture, payable in 10 years from funds raised by Troop Nine activities. Eighty-six parents responded, buying more than $900 worth of debentures.
Through the cooperation of builders and suppliers in Austin, materials for the hut were obtained at reduced prices, and through the generosity of the trades unions in the city, masons, bricklayers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, cement finishers, iron workers and painters donated their services.
Scouts and their fathers toted tile and bricks, mixed mortar, carried lumber and ran errands.
The scout hut will be ready for meetings late this summer.
The following union men have contributed:
Bricklayers Union Local Eight: Henry Lucksinger, Carl Fields, Floyd Merritt, Alfred Schmitz, Paul Lucksinger, J. L. Newsome, James Hester, Harry Fargen, E. R. Jacobson, Dwight Shafford, Bill Lewis, Earnest Hill, J. J. Byron, Larry Merritt and J. E. Cogbill.
Also, Cement Masons Local 783: Jow Winslett, R. G. Henson and Clifford Winslett. Carpenters Local 1266 Ellsworth Mowery, Willie Lloyd and G. A. Hill. Electrical Workers Local 520: Marcus Loftis and Frank Walling. Painters Local 221: Robert Hill and O. L. Stifer. Plumbers and Fitters Local 790: Earl Truell.
Safely scaffolding was furnished by Lynn Garrett of the Texcrete Company of Austin.
Boy Scouts earning “Citizenship in the Community” merit badge credits on the work are
Dads who organized the Bryker Woods Troop Foundation and helped with the construction are R. B. Latting
W. D. Craig Jr.
Cecil C. Rotsch
C. Ben Hibbetts
L. M. Jaquet
T. E. Campbell
C. J. Max Roesch Jr.
J. G. Perkins
J. G. Maguire